Friday, December 14, 2007
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Monday, October 08, 2007
Friday, October 05, 2007
Listen to these names... Sister Mary Providence, (well, she's a Sister after all) Mrs. Edward Cridge and Mrs. Thomas Blinkhorn. There are a few more good ones, Madame L'Hotelier, Mrs. R. B. McMicking, Lady Trutch.
I still have sock monkeys on the brain, and I'm thinking these would be very good names for them.
I like the little quote in the front of the book; The History of a Country is written from the lives of Men, but from the lives of the Women we learn best of a Nation's soul.
I also got this sweater and skirt. Just too bad neither of them fit me. I wanted the skirt for a quilt, but someone in this household seems to fit into it quite nicely. Damn. And the sweater... hmm, possibly a pillow.
Oh, one more thing... I'm sure you're as inspired by Amy, of Angry Chicken as I am. I love her that much more after listening to her interview on Craftcast. Reading blogs are wonderful, but to hear someone speak... well, it gives you that much more of a feel for the person. She was inspiring and uplifting. It was a fun insightful interview. Thanks Amy!
Thursday, October 04, 2007
I also actually loved the heavy, humid summer air, knowing it would be a short time before I would be back on the West Coast again. OH, and the country side, man, I miss the country side!
Wednesday, October 03, 2007
- learn to use the link thingy again
- organize all of my paperwork, especially anything work related or financial
- not miss any of The Office
- menu plan and cook, (at least 4 days a week) so I can eat real food when I come home from work. Yes, OK, I'm doing it for my daughter too.
- either go back to the gym (after not showing my face there for 8 months) or drop my contract
- make a sock monkey, something as great as this!
- re-finish/paint one dresser, one desk, and one book shelf
- hem one set of curtains and de-hem another pair (that shrank in the wash)
- figure out how to let the cats come and go, to use the litter box on the balcony, with out letting in all of the cold air
- finish knitting a shawl that I started last year, so I don't freeze with all the cold air in here
- organize all of my craft stuff. Lara is my inspiration!
- finish reading Lara's archives. I have about one month left. She's funny!
- continue ripping favorite pages out of every last one of my decor magazines. (ok, not every magazine!)
- continue gluing said favorite pages into designated scrap book and making collage type pictures out of them. More on this later!
- figure out how to use my ipod, again
- make another apron for tie one on
- make a dentist appointment
- catch up on correspondence. That means letters, phone calls, parcels, email, facebook, fickr, and my blog, amongst others.
- organize my pictures
- continue buying scissors at record breaking deals, (at certain secret thrift stores) thanks to all of this, no sharp instruments on the airplanes business began
- make more lists
Thursday, August 09, 2007
It was a cold, windy day, so I sat in the car, listened to CBC radio and worked on my Yo-Yo's. You may be wondering what that thing is in the sky. Well, it will explain why I haven't been posting here. It's a big kite, (called a power kite) and people use them to get pulled around on boards in the water, (like a little surf board with foot straps) or land boards (like a big skate board, with straps) or a buggy. That was back in the day, before I was totally hooked. Now look at me!
That's right, my new hobby has put everything else on hold! This may not look impressive, but trust me, you can get going pretty fast. I do wear a helmet now.
Some of the daredevils do impressive jumps!
Even the best at flying do the kite in the tree trick!
So there you have it. When the rains come again, I'll get back to my knitting.
Friday, May 25, 2007
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Like a lot of people, I'm critical of pictures of myself, but this one is OK! I've had several haircuts this past little while. I went to a great hairdresser, got a good cut... but oh my, the fussing and fiddling I had to do to make it do what it was supposed to. We looked at pictures and picked a haircut together. Then she warned me that I would have to use "product" and I said "I promise", but after a week I went mad, got a cheapo haircut, and hated it. Suffice to say I had a bit of a mullet. My daughter who does not cut hair fixed it that night. I totally trusted her judgment. Pretty good for NO experience. Now to find a hairdresser, one I can just stick with....
Oh, here's the most recent thing I've made besides supper. The panel is a pocket with lining and interfacing! The bag itself is lined in a similar coloured, tiny flower print fabric. Trust me, it looks good, but I don't have a picture of its innards. Need I say it was for my daughter? And guess what she told me recently? One day, she wants to have a...
Sunday, April 22, 2007
I have quite a bit more to show, as well as another finished project, so stay tuned!
Thursday, April 12, 2007
A quilt you say?
It worked out pretty well I think, and fast too! Mind you it's just the top. I want to hand quilt it but I want it to be portable, you know, take it on a picnic. So if anyone has pointers on using a quilting hoop, I would greatly appreciate any advice.
I'm not worried about being too precious about it, since it will be my first hand quilting and sort of a practice piece. Hell, I didn't even cut the fabric, I tore the strips. I'm going to use cotton batting rather than polyester for the fill. I like the look of the old flat quilts rather than the puffy guys.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
I suppose I have some perfectionist tendencies and in some cases that would be considered an attribute but in most cases it's not! Like hearing myself say this. "Not posting because I don't have a picture to add. Don't have a good picture. Don't have a picture of a recent project. Project's ends aren't woven in. Who wants to see another sock! Don't have anything witty to say. Blah blah blah." Or...the procrastinator. "Damn, I haven't posted for a month! Ignore it and it will go away!" Or... "It's too late now!"
Not that blogging hasn't changed things for me in great ways and that I really, really do like blogging!
I just get busy or overwhelmed or lazy or whatever. I not only bugger up the momentum and the connections and communication and such, I feel guilty! I suppose there is a certain amount of responsibility to having a blog and letting people know you are on a break, huh? See, I'm still learning!
I do have to say that after Christmas, well for quite a long time now, I've been sick and tired of feeling old and tired (and fatter than I like). With nothing to do with any new year resolution, I actually joined a gym! I have been going now, faithfully, for about a month, with the exception of this past week, due to painful eyeballs, fever and chills, pounding sinus pressure...get the idea? So anyway, prior to finally succumbing to the dreadful flu that everyone in Vancouver seems to have been passing around, I have increased my energy tenfold! Not only that I've lost about five pounds due to my renewed conscientious healthy food choices. Well, and all that exercise!
So, let's see if I can do it all! Take reasonable care of a household and a teenage daughter (who really takes care of herself), two cats, a part time-on call job, maintain a workout routine and a blog! So long as it doesn't cut into crappy TV viewing, like the best ever reality show finale, Beauty and the Geek! Wasn't that great!