Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Road Trip to. . .


Finn Slough is one of the last tidal communities on the West Coast and is described as "a sleepy little backwater on the mighty Fraser river". The community is in the process of creating a living museum by restoring and maintaining various heritage features, preserving the natural habitat and protecting the Slough from urban encroachment.
In the 1880's the immigrant fishers from Finland were the first people to establish these homes. There were up to 70 households in the 1940's and 50's . Today 18 households remain.



Looking into the Slough. . .


and out towards the Fraser River.

A few of the homes. . .


It was a drizzly, overcast day when I got to see this community and the homes for the first time and I fell in love with it. Just a short walk to the north side of the Dyke, you can find huge, modern houses lacking in character and to me, soul.


In some cases, nature reclaiming. . .


I've wanted my blog to primarily focus on crafts, but because I find Finn Slough so unique I want to share my photographs as well. I hope those that see the beauty and creativity of Gee's Bend, it's inhabitants and their art, will relate to this. If you would like to learn more, I encourage you to visit their site.


I look forward to my next visit here.

5 comments:

Green Kitchen said...

What a sad beauty it has.

Anonymous said...

I think that those pictures are extremely relevent to crafting. I think that word "crafting" doesn't add up to what we all do. We are not making tissue box covers here people. We are creating art and preserving the individual heritages that we all have. We all "craft" because of some sort of love and drive in our heart. And so if it's not oil on canvas then it's should be belittled as something our grandmothers did? Our grandmothers and their grandmothers did this stuff to survive. To bring money into the family and to cloth and keep families warm.

And that is exactly what people have to do on the coast. survive. and if looking at pieces of this continent fall apart doesn't make you want to pull it back together, then what are you doing here?

So we "crafers" pull it back together the way that we know how. We preserve our crafts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, I am Annie in Turlock, CA and a friend of Vicci in Placerville. I live about 2 hours south of her. Her blog lead me to your blog and I just had to tell you that I was totally drawn in to the pictures of the slough, love the way you make art out of something as simple as a ball of yarn, and I admire your sketches from the past. I visited Van Couver several years ago and perhaps will get a chance to visit again someday. Such a beautiful area. Best to you.

Anonymous said...

AnnieElf sent me. She showed me her blog this morning, and told me about yours, and your photos, which are stunning. I'm going to do the map thing so I know exactly where you are. I hope you don't mind if I use two of your photos for my screen saver. I don't blog, but my email address is: bieneinparadise@yahoo.com that way you can tell me if the answer is no.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, so much mood and character. I'd like to live somewhere like that.